Friday, June 12, 2009

Paparazzi and the Celeb Obsession

Celeb Pre-School Is a Paparazzi Hot Spot - ABC News


I have long been disgusted by our society's obsession with famous and beautiful. I don't buy Star magazine or watch Entertainment Tonight. It's not worth my time. The events of those strangers' lives have no affect on mine.

The article linked to this really infuriated me though. I just don't understand why we allow paparazzi to behave the way they do with no legal consequences.

First of all, why is it legal to stalk someone? Just because celebrity's lives are cush, does that mean they should have to be subjected to hourly scrutiny? The article says "these people are celebrities and they signed up for this." Did they? Just because one is successful?

We have to get permission from people before using their picture for marketing of advertising at the museum where I work. We can't make a profit off of someone that doesn't agree to it. Why can photographers capitalize off taking pictures of people who try, daily, to refuse them the right?

Why is this legal? I just don't understand. Why do I care about the affect this has on the same strangers whose lives I don't follow? Because I hate that people across the world who disagree with paparazzi still watch TMZ. Or the people who mold their lives around these celebrities, worship them even, and yet hatefully agree that the paparazzi are right: "that they signed up for this."

Do you think it's wrong? Do you support the sources that pay paparazzi good money to act like mongrels? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment