Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Sparrow

I saw a remarkable play this weekend.   It's an original play by this AMAZING company called The House Theatre. It was the mose innovative, ingenious, and moving play I have ever seen. In my entire life. I have seen quite a lot of plays too! I wish I could go into depth about the directing choices that made it unique and captivating and the set design that BLEW my mind. Not because of its amazing tricks or largeness but because of its utter simplicity. Plus they used video! In a way I never imagined. Through this play I saw more possibilities than I ever thought possible on a stage. WOW. In the end, I was sobbing and smitten and totally changed.

The story of the company is almost the best part.  The founding members all either went to undergrad together in Texas or knew those people through other workshops. This is only their 5th season, and they are making a huge name for themselves. They write all of their own plays, and they always include music and dance, but nothing is conventional about the way they do this. Check out their website: http://www.thehousetheatre.com/about

Ian and Nathan, I think you would be totally inspired by these people.

Chad, I wish we could ever make something like they are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment